Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 35mm
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 22:10:48 +0000

Steve LeHuray wrote:
>Last Friday I bought a new pre-ASPH Summilux 35mm 1.4 from a Leica dealer. I
>know that Leica discontinued this model in 1995 when they came out with the
>ASPH version but it was a new lens with Passport and I had wanted this lens
>for awhile. I thought that I would end up with a used one but there does not
>seem to many of them advertised for sale. When I got home I looked in
>Sartorius' Leica Lens Guide and checked the serial #3537736 on the tables at
>the back of the book. And to my surprise it was listed as being made in
>1990. So here are my questions: How does a lens sit on a dealers shelf for
>10 years? Was this lens not very much in demand because of its high price?
>And is this a problem for dealers having expensive inventory that does not
>sell? Now I don't really care that I bought a new lens in 1999 made in 1990
>because Leica lenses are not like cars that have annual changes. From
>everything that I have heard this is a great lens and am expecting to take
>some good photos with it. But I am wondering about this situation and if
>anybody has any comment on it and does anybody know how many of these lens
>were made?
>
>Steve
>Annapolis

What you have is a unique piece of optic capable of some interesting results.
These are my impressions.

At f1.4, the picture was soft, lacking in contrast, "not that sharp", and
has that ethereal look which reminds me of the shots which were taken
decades back when uncoated lenses were used. And don't I just love that
corner vignetting which I think can be an artform in itself.

At f2, the attributes are not as pronounced as at f1.4.  Corner vignetting
is just about discernable.

From about f2.8/f4 onwards, I could hardly tell the difference between the
pictures taken with this lens and my Summicron used at the same aperture.
In short, this has a unique personality when used at large apertures.

The new kid (ASPH version) in the block has certainly lots to offer. I now
own both.  However, depending on your style of photography, this old dog
(non-ASPH version) cannot be replaced either.  Imagine one can either crank
this lens wide open to create the mystic moods when the need arises or stop
down to bring out pictorial sharpness and contrast when the situation
demands it.  One can say that it is capable of Dual Roles.

There are very few advertised for sale partly because they are slowly but
surely gaining a collectible status. If it is sitting on the shelf all this
while, then it has not been noticed before. My impression is that they are
fast disappearing from dealers' shelves. Many users are reluctant to part
with theirs because they like the look this lens produces.

Your serial number #3537736 also means that your lens is multicoated.  Well
done on a great purchase. As I recall, all the lenses under #32xxxxx were
not multicoated. How much did you pay for it?  You may email me privately.

Dan K.

     Children should be children....and let them enjoy their childhood.
       Record their smiles and expressions on B&W photography........
             .... for you will see them that way only once.