Subject: Re: [Leica] Help on shooting available light pictures
From: "J Beal" <jbeal@bendnet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 22:00:43 -0800

Ted, Nathan, & Gerry,
   Thanks for the kind responses and further inquiries.  Sorry I wasn't more
specific about the film and its processing.  (BTW - Ted, your website is an
inspiration and have placed it on every Christmas list I have access to.  If
I don't receive it as a gift this Christmas, I will be talking to you about
a purchase in early January 2000).
   I feel rather sheepish saying this in the company of the LUG, but I don't
have a darkroom or access to one.  I feel that has restricted me to consumer
level print films.  (Maybe this an "amateur" mindset I need to break).  For
color print, I've been using Fuji 400 and rather like it, except for the low
light stuff.  For low light color, I've tried the Kodak Max 800 (based on a
very positive review in Popular Photography, FWIW) and Konica 3200 to mixed
results.  The Konica was butchered at a "custom lab", which was a shame,
having contained the last Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade.  The Max
800 just it's grabbing me.  Surprisingly, the Kodak Black & White + (C41
process) stuff I've been shooting at low light is giving me the most
satisfaction.  I just feel I'm not using the Leica to its potential by not
being better with color film.  I would love to blame the processing (mostly
at a mini-lab), but that seems a copout.  I know it's not the equipment and
the film is just the medium, which leaves me.
   While I would love to have a Summilux-M 35, it will probably have to wait
until I set-up a darkroom.  (Focus, John.  You're drifting into a focomat
thread...)
   So my re-focused questions are:
- - With no access to a home lab, do I switch to a professional-grade
(refrigerator) film?  If yes, which are recommended?  Best sources and
prices?  (BTW, how do you handle the stuff?)
- - Do I stop messing around with minilabs for development?  How to chose a
good lab in rural Oregon?  Are there reasonable mail-order alternatives?
- - If I move the purchase of a home darkroom up before a Summilux-M 35 (damn
things will be all snapped up, I fear), how do I achieve satisfactory
results with color?

Thanks for input and tutalige,
John Beal II, Oregon