Subject: Re: LUG[Leica] Extreme Low Light Color --> Mr Puts
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 19:31:22 -0800

Dan Cardish wrote:

> Are you talking about NHG II Fuji Professional 800 film?  If so, I find the
> 120 format to be very grainy.  I can't imagine even attempting to get a
> reasonably fine grained image from 35mm.  It may be a usefull film for the
> occasions which warrant it, but for general purpose use, I'll stick with my
> Reala (and my fast lenses), thank you.
>
> Dan C.
>
> At 04:25 PM 18-12-99 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> >>
> >> I am not a professional photojournalist, but I too have recently discovered
> >> Fuji's 800 color negative film. It is a revelation. It is now the only
> color
> >> negative film I use.
> >>
> >> Nathan
> >>

> >I agree it's what's in my second body right now. Great for scanning! Looks
> like
> >ASA 200 film grain and sharpness wise.
> >Mark Rabiner

Huh! they have a letter code NHG II and is commonly now used by wedding
photographers to shoot weddings.
In my own mind the ASA used in the weddings is a standard of sorts for where
film is at.
I saw it creep since the late seventies from 80 to 100 to 125 to 160 and then
quickly from 400 to the amazing 800. It's a Sci Fi world that's for sure. If you
are getting grain it is becuae you are underexposing it. Try giving it another
half stop. I'm doing OK with it at its rated speed with my meters and meters in
cameras. It does matter where you have your film run I've discovered places I've
learned to avoid that the film came out thin with.
Mark Rabiner
As a "pro" film you have to "run it" quickly after you shoot it. It's
refrigerator film.