Subject: Re: [Leica] [Leica} Tri-Elmar and zoom
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 14:57:56 +0300

Erwin Puts wrote:

> Some comments on the maximum aperture. We now speak with some disdain
> about an f/4 aperture. Do we remember that from 1925 till 1960 the
> workhorse lens was the Elmar 3.5/50? And that with film sensibility
> around 10 to 50 ASA. Many HCB pictures are made with apertures around
> 5.6.

In the past, people wrote on clay tablets, which was advanced in the
day. But I'll take paper, if I'm given the freedom. Oh, and ballpoints,
thank God for ballpoints.

> In my view the demand for f/2 lenses and wider, even in the  classical
> M picture environment is a bit exaggerated.

I like to see detail in my pictures. Very old lenses and old emulsions
won't give me what I'm looking for. I need the slowest (modern) film
possible in a given light. Fast lenses provide the only possible
solution.

> Of course there  are situations where a 1.4 and a filmspeed of 1600
> will save the day.  But in many situations an f/4 will do very fine.
> Optically the  Tri-Elmar is equal to the current 28, 35 and 50 lenses
> at relevant  apertures.A few years ago Canon did a very extensive
> study on the  use of apertures and examined thousands of pictures.
> Result?  Apertures wider than 2.8 are very scarce in practical use.
> There is  hardly any professional zoomlens with an aperture wider than
> 2.8.  That fills the need of many users.

That's what many users have to settle for. The limiting factor is
*price*, not what people will use if they could get it affordably.

Bernard