Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-equipment related question (almost)
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:42:51 EST

<<I know some of you must view your Leica as a means (the tool) to an end
(unique photographs).  Equipment aside, I'm interested in what you think
the 2 or 3 most important techniques are that made your best pictures
your, well, best pictures.  In other words, what have you learned/what
do you know now, that you wish you knew when you started?

Bruce,

I think the single most important thing I've learned about making successful
photos is to photograph subject matter that I have an emotional connection
to.  I think that if that relationship is there, the rest tends to fall into
place by itself.  Sometimes my exposure isn't perfect, or the focus might be
off a bit, but if I really care about what I am shooting, the caring comes
through and the images work.  I think it is important to not separate one's
life from one's photos.  Shoot from the gut, and use a lot of film.  Practice
at shooting what you care about, and you will grow as a photographer.  Bill
Jay in the current edition of Lenswork Quarterly discusses this idea in more
depth and with greater eloquence.  I would urge everyone to read his essay in
this excellent magazine.  He puts much of art photography in perspective.

Richard Wasserman