Subject: [Leica] Re: 180 Summicron vs. Canon 200/1.8
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:02:32 -0800

Although I've found lens tests fascinating over the years, in general I
don't really bother reading them much for making buying decisions. What I
usually do is find someone whom I know who has tastes similar to mine and
see if they've tried a lens and get their opinion. Or I work out with a
dealer the ability to shoot a quick roll of film with a lens I'm
considering, shoot it, process it, and read the negatives. It's how I've
found lenses that give me good results more effectively than looking at
test reports.

This is the great boon of having a good, well stocked dealership nearby
my home, and patronizing them. First hand experience is always more
valuable than studying someone else's bench tests.

Godfrey