Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Driver R8 now Leica prices!
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:59:05 -0800

> Based on the current condition of the industry, I'd say they are
> re-thinking the "holier than thou" attitude.
>
> Actually Ted, Mercedes is actually a very fine example.  Their sales were
in
> the crapper in the early 90's because their cars were too damned expensive
> and were no better than the Japanese competition...(sounds familiar)
>
> Their answer was to bring their prices into the realm of sanity and to
> re-design their line to be competitive.  They proved that German companies
> ARE still capable of being world leaders, and are planning to completely
> take over the industrialized world in about 10 years..Ha Ha.
>
> I hope Leica and their new CEO have learned from the successes of other
> German marques.  They CAN be the best and still be a volume dealer.
Volume
> on the level of Canon?  No, and Mercedes doesn't sell as many cars as GM,
> but the make enough to pay the light bills:)

Also, the currency market made a more favourable environment for European
companies.  It is but a dream that Honda Legend was merely $25,000 and
Toyota Celsior/Lexus LS400 was $35,000 when introduced.  Their prices are at
least 50% higher if not more, while European cars are hardly more expensive
than they were then.