Subject: Re: [Leica] Konica HEXAR RF Lenses reviewed in CI #220
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 23:24:50 EST

Who's thinking inside the box?

In a message dated 12/15/99 12:26:02 PM, ewelch@neteze.com writes:

"And by what reasoning is this "only?" What do you mean by much earlier?"
- -- that was a typo as I winced in pain from a Grape Nut (R) sticking me in
the gums.

As I explained earlier, I think it's pretty clear that the geometry changes
only with an actual increase in base length, not an increase in
magnification. If you can show me how expanding the magnification increases
accuracy, I'm all ears.

Think of it this way: envision a right triangle with the long leg
representing viewfinder to subject distance. Imagine that the other leg is
the actual RF base length. Draw one of these with a 41mm base (let's say an
old Canon) and one with a 70mm base (any M). The hypoteneuse of this triangle
is the distance from rangefinder window to the subject. Changes in the
viewfinder-object distance cause the long-base RF to "rotate" (we'll pretend
the prism is behind the RF window) far less with the 70mm rangefinder. If you'
re looking at this system, the only thing magnification does is make it
easier for *you* the human operator to see the difference. If you define
accuracy as your ability to focus, I'm not going to argue. If you're arguing
that there is some inherent superiority that is independent of the human
user, I think you're dead wrong.

"Magnification and rangefinder base determine accuracy of focusing."
- -- for humans, not cameras. it can differentiate the differences well. your
eyesight and ability to differentiate changes in the focus point determine
how much magnification you need. But those aren't the only factors. The
precision of the instrument plays a large role. And based on my experiments
with a lot of types of rangefinders, you don't need a lot of accuracy with
F/2 lenses 90mm and under.

"And The M6 .72 can focus a 75 Summilux and 90 Summicron just fine."
- - Sure, but it's a lot easier on your eyes to use an SLR. Besides, past a
certain point the RF patch subsumes too much of the 0.72 M6's finder (90 and
135mm). Yes, a fortiori this would apply to the Hexar RF, too.

"And if you think there is no size/weight advantage to those lenses and an
M6, then you haven't used them, and the equivalent in SLRs. There is a major
difference in bulk and weight. Especially bulk. Just becuase it doesn't turn
your crank doesn't mean they aren't still an advantage."
- - It doesn't fit in your coat pocket. That's all I'm worried about. When you
deal with  that takes a camera bag it could be an F5.

"And if you think the only lenses 80% of Leica users buy is the 35 f/2 and 50
f/2, well you don'tknow a large component of Leica users - professionals. Let
along amateurs who use 28s, 21s and increasing numbers using 24s. Let alone
90s. If what
you say is true, Leica would have stop selling the longer lenses a long time
ago."

- -- perhaps that's true, but you'd have to reference the sales numbers. I
don't think a very sizeable component uses them, based on the relative
prices.

If you need circumstantial evidence of where the money is, look outside the
Leica box. Konica made the first Leica-type lens in the original Hexar. What
lens? 35/2 Summicron. Voigtlander makes 35mm and 50mm RF lenses now. Konica
releases its second camera. What lens? 50mm Summicron. Go back into your
Leica Magic Moments book. 90 or 95% (I lost my tally sheet) of the shots were
with the 35/2 or 50/2.

Think outside the box.
- - et tu
- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Zen master to hotdog vendor. "Make me one with everything."

</XMP>