Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens choice--sole lens for M6
From: "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:10:02 -0500

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your tips and your insights.  They have truly got my attention.
You have, of course, exposed a truth about those of us not privileged enough
to be really productive photographers--there is a tendency for us to fall
back on "idol worship" in the form of equipment obsession, whereas, if we
were out there making the pictures, we would have other issues in mind (such
as picture content).

It is hard for me to think that I can focus the 50-R and 35-R indoors on
low-luminance faces accurately enough for f/2 shooting, but I plan to give
it a more serious dry run tomorrow, using the technique you described and
looking for consistency on the lens markings. Any other ideas on that
challenge. I thought of using the kids' shiny hair and hoping that DOF would
get me by for the face.

I had another look at your wonderful book this afternoon and re-read some of
your technical comments.  Do you recall which images might have been done
with the 35mm Summilux M?

Now you and I are too old to lie to one another, so I must admit to you that
I have this deep longing to return to some M photography, having left it
about 15 years ago in order to accumulate my R equipment.  My wife teaches
in this school where I want to photograph her pupils, and I HAVE HER
OFFICIAL BLESSING to make these M purchases. This fortuitous combination of
events may be even rarer than that moon stuff you told us about. I gotta
make my M moves without hesitation, lest the heavenly constellations change
without warning.

Your "candid opinion" is very valuable to me and much appreciated.

Regards.............Julian