Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop hardware requirements?
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:59:05 -0700

I think if I was the original poster of this question, I would be a little
scared off by now!

There have been some great systems listed here (wish I had one of them...),
BUT, by perhaps adding some more RAM and having plenty of disk space to
store those image files, Hans-Peter can probably get by okay using PS5.5  It
may be a little slow, it won't wizz through scanning and files like some of
the systems described, but it will get you there okay if you have a little
patience ;-)

Especially if he isn't working on dozens of scans or image files a day.
Then, as he goes, he can upgrade, or save up for that lightening speed new
system - by then he will have learnt the ins and outs of PS - it can be a
steep learning curve (remember learning to print good B&W in the darkroom?).

It's a bit like our responses often get to the question "I just got my first
M6 - what now?" We fire off - get a Noctilux, or a 75mm Summilux or that
35mm 1.4 Asph; when just getting a 35 Sumicron may be all they need right
now

Tim A

(who still gets by with his frustratingly slow PC (by this months standards
anyway), M6, Summicrons and Elmarits - one day I'll get that 35 Asph, when I
stop wasting my money on film and printing paper).

PS - one of the best PS books - Real World Photoshop by Fraser & Blatner -
especially if you are doing digital printing