Subject: Re: [Leica] A Heliar-M lens conversion
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:47:07 +0800

Jeff S wrote:

> Observation: I wasn't crazy about Cosina's M adaptor because in normal
> use it's designed to be mounted and unmounted with the aid of a spanner
> wrench, whereas Leica's part can be removed by hand pretty readily. But
> in this particular application, that becomes a non-issue, and the Cosina
> part is cheaper. I got the genuine Leica part because that's all that
> was in stock. It's nice. It's also $100+ if you have to buy it new.

The Cosina M adaptors are not to be removed by a spanner wrench.  Cosina
supplies with their M adaptors their version of the M rear cap which is
made of hard plastic (as opposed to Leica's soft plastic).  This rear
cap is designed to remove the M adaptor from the lens or body
effectively.  No spanner or any other tool is required.  The generic
adaptors (such as Avenon, Bower, Kobalux) are supplied by a spanner
wrench as you described.

> Future project: I'm thinking along the lines of an M rear lenscap with
> tiny Velcro'd pouch affixed for keeping the lens + finder together and
> properly protected but very handy.

Cosina already offers a well-designed lens case, VL-1, which houses a
15mm or 25mm lens, with a spearate compartment for a 15/25mm finder.
The lens compartment is spacious enough to accomodate a lens plus a M
adaptor and a M rear cap.  The Japanese version of the VL-1 is brown
whereas the European edition is black.

Regards,

Joseph
Hong Kong