Subject: Re: [Leica]Looking for M4-2 BasePlate and Meter Suggestions
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:23:59 -0700

You can use a baseplate from M4 through M6 though the later M6 baseplares do
not have the mechanism to operate the Leica film cassettes. They turn up on
EBAY fairly frequently (none there right now) and I have had good luck with
this sort of item from Wall Street Camera (www.leicawsc.com). They have a
downloadable file of all their Leica used items.

I have used several meters over the years and I hope that the following
comments are helpful:

­The old, but still available new, Sekonic 398 Studio Deluxe is a great
meter. It uses a selenium cell so no batteries but it is primarily a
incident meter. It is quite accurate but only goes down to about 1/8 at f2
(ASA 400) so low light tripod work is out. It has a clamping mechanism to
protect the meter movement when not in use and is very rugged. Nearly every
video/film cameraman I meet either uses this meter or has one as a back up.

­Leica MR4 meter also has a clamping mechanism when not metering and is very
rugged as well. It is an reflective meter and when attached to the camera
reads the same area as the 90mm lens. It has a CDS measuring cell and has
the usual memory problems when exposed to very bright light. It is easy to
use as it couples to the shutter speed dial and quite accurate with half
stops easily discernable. Only available used.

­Pentax Spotmeter V is a pistol like spotmeter that is very accurate and has
one third stop markings. A little on the big and bulky side and does not
have a clamping mechanism for the meter movemnt. Very accurate buy do not
drop it! Readily available new and used.

­Minolta Autometer IVF is an incident/reflective/flash meter. Very light and
practically indestructible, accurate to one tenth stops and reads in very
low light( -2EV). My only complaint on this meter is that it would be nice
to have the ability to store multiple ASA settings for when you are carrying
a couple of cameras.

I hope this helps. My only piece of advice would be that the majority of
times an incident meter is the fastest and most accurate way. Having said
that, you will get comfortable and accurate with any system after
practicing.

John Collier

Bill Campbell wrote:

> If anyone has a black baseplate forsale, or knows where I might be able to
> find one, please e-mail me at billc@clark.net

and also: