Subject: [Leica] Fixer life
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 00:44:13 -0600

Anybody have an idea of the life of Ilford Multigrade Fixer in a tray
used for fixing prints from Leica (on topic) negatives?  The material I
downloaded from their web site says their developer is good for 100
prints/liter or two working days in a tray, but for the fixer gives only
the number of prints without specifying a length of time.  Kodak says
their fixers are good for a week in a tray (without use - whatever good
that is.)

At this time of year I make between 500 and 700 8x10 prints that get
bound into books and given to family members as Christmas presents (sort
of a family year in review.)  It is more convenient for me to use a
gallon of fix at a time in a large tray, but it takes several days to
exhaust that much chemistry based just on number of prints.  I've been
assuming that the fix will be good for at least two or three days, but
I'm wondering if any of you have contrary information.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
Kip