Subject: [Leica] Scanners
From: "Rod Fleming" <rodfleming@sol.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 09:52:58 -0000

Pascal wrote

1350 dpi- half the maximum

That's absolutely right.

I think it's worth pointing out that in all the Nikon Scan TWAIN controllers
I've seen, the "Output Resolution" defaults to "1350 pixels/inch".  Hoever,
it is fundamental to realise that this is at the default output SIZE of
1.79x2.64 inches, ie 2x the size of a 35mm neg. On this setting the scanner
is scanning at maximum optical, 2700 dpi (1350x2). I have often seen people
put the output res box up to 2700- without changing the "output size"- and
thus scan at an interpolated 5400 dpi. As has been pointed out, optical is
real info, interpolated is not.

Quite why Nikon do this, as it seems a bit of a pitfall for the unwary, I
don't know. And I'm not saying that either Pascal or anyone else is unaware
of this. However we have trained a number of people on the Nikon, and they
always get caught with that, so I thought it was worth flagging up.

The correct way to control the scan res on this TWAIN interface is to leave
the defaults alone and adjust the scaling- a horizontal slider under the
output res box.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Rod