Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner recommendation
From: Pitak Chenkosol <pitakc@ee.pdx.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 19:31:08 -0800 (PST)

	Dear Mark,

	Genuine Fractal is a commercial name for a Photoshop plug-in.
	You can find more info. at

	http://www.altamiragroup.com/html/products/products.html

	I believe the program let you store images in a format called
	"Fractal Image Format (FIF)". Now, the idea behind the Fractal Image
	Format (FIF) is based on a concept called "Fractal Image
	compression". If you are interested to learn more about it,
	please point your web browser to

	ftp://shear.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/pub/Fractal/papers/pdf/README.html

	I downloaded the document called "Fractal Image compression" by
	M. Ali. It contains quite a bit of mathematical concepts but is
	quite readble. I think it is a good paper to start. You can learn
	more about the subject by going through more papers on the subject.
	There are also books about fractal image compression available.

	Hope this helps.

	Regards,

	Pitak

> ><Snip>
> > I'm not using these large files for printing or pre-press - only for
> > storage as Genuine Fractals. I figured if I store them at the highest
> > possible resolution, I can convert them to whatever size I need when I need
> > them. Is this not true? I would like to scan the photos one time and store
> > them for any possible future use. So far, I've been getting beautiful
> > results but I don't think I'll ever understand all of this scanning stuff!!!
> >
> > Tina
> >
> What the heck is a genuine fractal Mz not no anything about this scanning stuff????!!!
> Mark Rabiner
> was not prepared for fractals, Fstops are hard enough.

- --
Pitak Chenkosol, Dept. Electrical Eng.,|  " I was born not knowing and have
Portland State University,             |    only had a little time to change
P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751. |    that here and there."
E-mail: pitakc@ee.pdx.edu              |                Richard P. Feynman