Subject: Re: [Leica] chosing between 50Nocti or 50Summi
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 18:01:01 -0800

At 9:28 AM -0600 12/10/99, George Kase wrote:
>Can anyone who has used these lenses tell me if the added
>speed/quality of the Nocitlux is worth reaching for...quality
>of images(subjective), etc.
>Thanks
>George Kase

Summi...what?

The question isn't quality so much of the lens, as what aperture are
you going to use. If not 1.0 at least part of the time, don't buy the
Noctilux. Just because it's bigger and faster doesn't make it better
optically. It has a special character, but not using it wide open
makes it an awfully large penalty for carrying and view in the
viewfinder with the lens taking up a good part of one corner.
- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

Zen master to hotdog vendor. "Make me one with everything."