Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner recommendation
From: "Dave Stratton" <stratton@gci.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:06:04 -0900

Tina said
<But the multi-sample scanning on the Nikon increases the bit-depth per
pixel by reducing system noise. "With a 4x scan the pixel depth is
increased by two bits per pixel and with a 16x scan the pixel depth is
increases by four bits per pixel."
That is straight out of the manual.  I have no idea what it means, but with
contrasty slides the multiple scans greatly increase the shadow
detail.  It's not scanning the whole slide 16 different times, but scanning
each pixel 16 times as the scanner moves across the slide once.

Tina

I'm really slow to the meaning of all this scanner stuff also. The  Multi
will scan to a 16 bit depth...however, to use many of the available tools in
photoshop you will ultimately be require to return to 8 bits.   Also most of
the printers available to the amateur seems to be limited to the 8 bit color
depth.   I am talking way over my head....I just know that the scanners of
today are far removed from scanners of just a few years ago. The Multi is
claiming a Dmax of 3.6.  I suspect this is a bit optimistic...however it
performs well (to great) on color slides (manual with selections), and I
understand color slides utilize nearly all any scanner has to offer.

All I know is I like working digitally with images....And if my best images
could look as good as your worst....I'd be a happy to my grave

I really like your work.  I would take exception to one thing you said in a
past message about your commercial work. I would question,  whether you are
imaging for the love of it, or imaging for the money of it....that you are
NOT capable of removing your creative art talent from the image.

Have a good day

Dave Stratton