Subject: [Leica] Leica AF camera
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:37:15 -0800

Wow!  Only 26 messages this AM, you guys must be taking photographs.

Anyway, for the 8 or so who actually read my post I have some interesting
news.

I received a letter from Leica (Solms) in response to correspondence that I
had written.
This discussed the possibility of Leica manufacturing AF lenses for Canon,
Nikon, et al.
Leica Product Management stated that they are checking costs and quantities
for such a project.
Hope this is not just rhetoric.  They did mention they are also looking to
build up AF SLR technology.  I speculate that this may be indication of a
forthcoming R9AF and perhaps the reason for the price reductions on the R8.

They also discussed the M system in the letter.  They indicated that the M
system needs to be enlarged but feel too much electronics in an M type
camera will take away from it.
Their intent is to build up the product family with several different bodies
(M-type) to reach a bigger audience.  [Speculation: perhaps a re-badged
Konica?! ;-) ]

Just thought this would be of interest.  I for one would jump at a chance to
have a Leica quality AF lens for my Canon.

Peter K