Subject: RE: [Leica] Praise for R8 and a question
From: Douglas Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 19:44:16 -0500

- -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------

Message text written by INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

"the manual states that using the 2-cam lenses
may damage the camera. Osterloh says the same in his book. I understand
that I would have only stop-down metering with a 2-cam lens, but what
exactly is the damage that can be done? And does it mean that I should
not mount my 6.8/400mm Telyt on the R8?
"

- -------------------- End Original Message --------------------

The 2nd (SL/SL2) cam may hit the cam follower in the R8 (or in any R3
through R7, for that matter) and will move the follower as you rotate the
lens' aperture ring.  I've even read of correct exposures with 2-cam
lenses.  HOWEVER, the forces imparted by the sloped SL/SL2 cam are mostly
longitudinal, and since the body's cam follower was designed for rotational
forces, not longitudinal, the follower may eventually be damaged.

The 400 f/6.8 has a ridge to put the SL/SL2 cam in the "null" position, and
depending on its age it may also have a "null" cam for the R-body's cam
follower.  I doubt the SL/SL2 "null" cam would damage an R3 through R8 cam
follower but I'm not absolutely certain.

Doug Herr
Sacramento