Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanner recommendation?
From: ottmar-x@t-online.de (Keith Bingman)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 23:12:38 +0100

> Kodak's Picture CD would work perfect for me and for the above described
> purposes, but here in Germany they offer it only in connection with prints
> which I do not want at that stage.
>
> Hans-Peter

Hans-Peter,

Another solution for you (though I will not try to talk you out of a scanner. I
will order mine in the next few days...) may be Kodak's old Photo CD. As you
mentioned, here in Germany the Picture CD is only available with prints. But this
has a rather low resolution (1000x1500) and software included. Photo CD is an older
system, but you can pick and choose the negatives or slides scanned. And the
resolution is substantially better, 2000x3000. This may not make a difference for
you purposes, but it is a much more flexible system. Scans are DM 1,19 plus DM 15
or so for the CD itself.

I work at a little camera store in Baden-Württemberg, and we have lately been
sending a lot of Photo CDs in precisely because the new system only works when you
order prints (and not at all with slides). Takes about a week to ten days. Kodak is
not always noted for its speed.

Hope that helps.

Keith Bingman
Riedheim, Germany