Subject: Re: [Leica] Guestimating exposure?
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 20:03:29 GMT

Hi Hans, I try to meter once and forget it for the rest of the day.
If the conditions are relatively constant you should only have to meter for
the highlights once, and the shadows once.

If I don't have a meter with me I go with the old stand by...
On sunny days you can be pretty sure of f8 at 1000 for Tri-x, or f8 at
250-500 for 100 speed. (some 100's are on the slow side of that rating I.E.
Tmax).  I tend to slightly overexpose and under develope to keep highlights
under control when printing.

For shadows on a sunny day I drop down 3 stops.  That gives me f4 at 60-125
for 100 and f 5.6 at 250 for 400.  I have never had exposure problems using
the method above.

For me the hardest days to measure are the "bright but cloudy" ones, that
are lighter than you think!  Luckily the light is also nicely diffused and
even, so once you meter you should not have to second guess yourself too
much.

For indoors I go by the "whatever you can" rule.  If it seems pretty dark I
set the lens at full aperture, and the shutter at 1/15-1/30.  Many pubs are
hard to meter, so your eyes can be a better judge!

I have found my estimates are generally better than a meter when shooting
subjects with bright highlights like white buildings, clothes etc.  In these
situations meters can get fooled easily.

hope this helps
Dan