Subject: [Leica] Scanner recommendation?
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de (Hans-Peter.Lammerich)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:45:22 +0100

Hello,

I am also interested to buy a film scanner. Again, I am not into "digital
darkroom", "Photoshop" and the like, but simply want quick and easy results. I
have seen websites which praise HP's Photosmart S20, but more recent tests in
German computer magazines were less enthusiastic about it.

Mainly I intend to use it to preview and archive colour negs, XP2 or T-Max 400
CN, using it as a sort of digital contact sheet and loupe, from which I then
could evaluate and select the best negatives for conventional, chemical printing
or for illustrating a website. I may also put them on a CD to circulate it among
my friends rather than to invite them to a slide show. But my concern is that it
may take hours to feed a few rolls of film into the scanner. Yes you can order a
conventional contact sheet from any photo dealer, but you then wait one week for
the results.

Making my own prints through the computer is currently no option for me. I live
in town and within 48 hours you get reasonably priced quality prints on Kodak
Royal paper (or the Fuji requivalent). Although not "pro", but still "consumer"
quality, they seem to outperform any demonstration print I have yet seen from a
(consumer) photo printer (Epson Stylus Photo or HP 970 Cxi with "Photo Ret
III"). By the way, the cost for one "chemical" print is less than the cost of
glossy photo paper for a computer printer, not accounting for ink cartridges,
miss prints, hard/software cost and, most important, the time spend at the
computer.

Prior to that I mainly used consumer slide film (Fuji Sensia, Kodak Elite). You
buy it cheap, say DM 60 to DM 80 for a pack of 10 Elite 100 (including voucher
for processing), get it developed overnight, view it with a loupe and select the
best frames for printing. I liked the projected slides, but even the digital
prints were not up to the quality of consumer prints from negatives, take one
week rather than 48 hours for Kodak's "Royal plus Service" and are limited to a
maximum size of 20 by 30 cm. Moreover, there seems to be no good slide film in
the ASA 400 plus range, but plenty of excellent print film.

Kodak's Picture CD would work perfect for me and for the above described
purposes, but here in Germany they offer it only in connection with prints
which I do not want at that stage.

Hans-Peter