Subject: Re: [Leica] a few Leica announcements
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 05:08:43 -0800

At 8:22 PM -0500 12/6/99, Thomas Kachadurian wrote:
>I hate to be a doomsayer, but this is a sign of a company in trouble.
>When a competitor is engineering a camera which will really undercut
>their sales, they react to it by making the same camera they have
>been making for years and putting a different finish on it. All of
>you who talk about Leica as the pinnacle of picture making tools that
>can't be improved with updating please explain how it's picture
>making abilities are improved by a new paint job?

You find this a radical departure for a company that has been doing this
kind of thing since, oh, I don't know, maybe 1926 or so with the
gold-plated Luxus?

Shoot, I was shopping for an iron yesterday and found one with a Titanium
bottom - the exact same color as the Titanium M6. Black and Decker going
out of business too? Come to think of it, this was probably a performance
addition. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA