Subject: Re: [Leica] a few Leica announcements
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 20:14:00 -0800

in my view you are connecting two things which are not connected.

I know M users who have been wanting the return of a black paint M with an
engraved top plate ever since Leica was foolish enough to discontinue them
(the M4 being the last).   It will be an instant collectible, a fairly quick
sell out at only 2000 cameras for the initial run, and will provide Leica
with some much needed revenue.

Leica is just reacting to market demand, though it is a bit slow. Luckily CEO
Cohn has an open mind and wants to make his customers happy.  Lemon camera
(Leica's largest Japanese distributor)  as well as LHSA asked for a black
paint M6, as well as many other experienced M users, myself included.

I personally doubt the black paint finish is a reaction to the Hexar or other
new RF's, it is just one small piece of the product line.

To me  the LUG  has made too much of the presumed Hexar's effect on Leica M
sales.  I think the price is going to be too close to the M6  to get
substantial Leica cross over.      The odd thing about the Hexar RF  is that
Konica is a very rich company and had the resources to make it a true
knockout of the M6.   Instead Konica choose an odd combination of features
that would leave the M6 a spot in the marketplace.   Imagine a Hexar with a 7
fps motor, 1/250th flash sync,  matrix flash and ambient metering, and  a
sophisticated data back. .  That would have been a problem for which Leica
could have no answer.

Time will tell what new models or modifications really are Leica's response
to the new rangefinder competition, and there is a lot of new competition.
Many of the current rumors are at my site,  http://cameraquest.com/rfren.htm

Personally I believe the Cosina made Voigtlander RF will have a lot more
effect on M sales, because it will likely sell for about 1/3 the price of an
M body.  Unknown at this time is whether it will be M mount or screw mount.
It is expected in March.

Stephen Gandy