Subject: [Leica] Mad Dogs and English Tourism
From: wvl <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 17:32:03 -0800

I was dismayed today to hear an interview on the radio with a blood bank
official who mentioned that in the near future persons who had traveled
in the U.K. would be excluded from donating blood because of Mad Cow
Disease risk. Are many of us feeling a bit uncomfortable? Also, KPeter,
it isn't too late to plan a nice trip to Paris or Warsaw. I  spent the
Summer of '96 in the U.K. on a NEH Grant Program. We were based at
University of Nottingham. The Americans all declined to eat any beef
products at the dining hall, or elsewhere, because that was the height
of Mad Cow hysteria in U.K. and on the Continent. Steakhouses in London
were truly deserted. The British Government practiced denial and
falsification of facts around the issue. Now, it appears the blood bank
professionals have a serious concern. Hmm... (I was "declined" this
month because I had traveled in malaria regions within a year.)

So, with that little caveat, go to England, eat mutton, fowel, fish and
Indian food for sure. Feel well advised by the excellent remarks from
members of this list. I will add a few of my own suggestions.

British Museum-a must. Try the door around back if lines are too long.

Camera stores in the Museum/Bloomsbury district have nice used and
collectibles but no Leica bargains, IMO.

Take the light rail through Canary Wharf to the pedestrian tunnel under
the Thames to Greenwich. See Naval Observatory and Museum, the Cutty
Sark and have  cider or ale in the local pubs. Return to heart of London
by boat.

War Museum is good. Steam engines (stationary) are demonstrated all over
the country on Steaming Sundays in summer. Also, the Rail Museum in York
is very good.

Consider taking the train from London to some outlying city, perhaps
Oxford or Cambridge, and renting a car there to explore village life.

Drop into any Anglican Church about 5:00 in the afternoon for the Matins
prayer and hymn service. The Matins at Kings College Chapel in Cambridge
is a world-class production.

Bon Voyage,

Bill Lawlor