Subject: [Leica] Rationization help
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 08:35:43 +0000

>>>I found the non-APO 180/2.8 a much better all-around lens than
the 3.4 APO. I'm sure you will find that your 180/2.8 APO will blow the
3.4
away for at least 90% of the time. Perhaps 100%<<<

Excuse me, but we're not doing our job here. As anybody knows, any good
User Group is specifically charged to aid and abet the buying
rationalizations of fellow sufferers...er, other photographers; no
matter how far-fetched. We should be doing our duty and helping our
friend to rationalize this totally redundant and needless purchase,
shouldn't we? After all, in buying a slower lens, his task is so much
more difficult than if he already had the f/3.4 and were considering the
f/2.8; at least in that case, he could be saying, "I can envision
situations in which I might need that extra half-stop...." But in buying
a slower lens that duplicates a better lens he already has, he is
obviously in dire need of our help. He has applied to us for that help;
he has even suggested the path we might take in supplying him with a
rationalization--i.e., that the wanted lens is handier. We should stop
being so realistic...er, pessimistic, and recall our charter here, our
sacred duty, our...complicity. After all, who knows when one of us may
be in similar need of rationalization help...er, objective guidance.
Heh! Mmmm?

- --Mike