Subject: RE: [Leica] Should I buy a Barnack camera?
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:32:26 -0500

Jeff,

I just bought a 111a with Summar a few weeks ago and I am thoroughly
delighted with the camera.  It's very light, compact and I can actually put
the darn thing in my front pants pocket.  Using and loading it does take a
bit of time getting used to but the camera is deleriously fun to use! One
surprise, knob wind is easier to use than I expected.  Maybe because I'm
left eyed and have to take camera away from my face to wind anyway.  Having
an unclutered viewfinder is a definite plus.  The last time I had this much
fun with a photo gadget was when I got my first motor drive.

Price wise, I think you can do better.  I bought my IIIa, Summar and case
for $305 on ebay.  Add $175 cdn for a CLA.  For some reason, the IIIf RD
seems to command a premium over the IIIf BD version.  A IIIa and IIIf BD
body should be priced anywhere up to about $400 usd. Make sure the shutter
curtains look good and not wrinkled.

Have fun.

Jonathan Lee