Subject: Re: [Leica] re: Konica and Contax
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 00:09:22 -0800

[Contax G]

>But, the trouble is focus...
>
>1. The camera parks the lens at infinity after every shot. So, obtaining
>focus lock is tedious.

Unless you're holding down the AF lock on the G2. You can also set the
focus distance precisely without the lens held at the focus point via the
LCD window on top. The fact that the lens is driven to the focus point
unless you use the AF lock is a bit of a pain as it slows down the
operation, but it's not insurmountable and makes no difference to the
manual focus setting.

>2. No DOF markings on the lens, not that it would do you any good, given
>1.

A moment or two's glance at a DoF table and I can remember enough to
determine DoF setting with scale focus and no DoF gauge. Of course, I
rarely bothered... when I wanted shallow DoF, I just spun the aperture
open, and when I wanted a lot I just closed it down. Unless you're doing
critical work, that's all you need.

Godfrey