Subject: [Leica] Re: England vacation
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:59:49 -0800 (PST)

Let me make a few notes in the body of your original
post.

"KPETERS" Wrote:

Dear Leica friends,  I am hoping to go to England this
spring for a =
photo trip and have a couple questions about
'European'
vacations for a =
starter!  I've never been there before and want to
make the
right =
choice!  Would you suggest a 'tour' or would you just
go
"on your =
own"!??  We're trying to debate if a tour would be
easier
as it would =
all be planned out?  Any bad experiences with European
tours in general? =
<<<<<<<<<<

The glass in the tour bus window acts as a very
effective insulator against the people and culture you
are visiting.

England is a very easy place to travel.  If you are
going to be driving keep in mind that there is a
learning curve involved...but it really is not that
difficult.

KPETERS WROTE:

 Any experience with buying airline ticketets to
England
over the =
internet?
<<<<<<<<<<

Watch for the sales that usually happen around the end
of January or the first of February.

Don't for get to check the smaller airlines like
Icelandic, Aer Lingus (SP) sometimes they have
outstanding deals.  May is a great time of the year to
go.

KPETERS WROTE:

  Any ideas would be helpful, and I know you are
all a worldly =
bunch!!    Anyways,  thanks ahead of time.
You are a swell =
bunch of folks and I shudder to think what I would do
without my =
"family" of leicavolk!
<<<<<<<<<<

General tips:

The very first thing you want to do is get a copy of
the following book. "Where to stay: England Hotels &
Guesthouses" by the English Tourist Board.

Very few people know about this book, but it is the
Bible for all the Brits that travel.  It is not an
easy book to find here in the US.  Your best chance of
getting it will be at Amazon; or Tattered Cover in
Denver (they have an 800 number); or Powell's in
Portland (they also have an 800 number.

- - - - - -

It is extremely import to remember that you are NOT
GOING ON VACATION to England for two weeks (or what
ever); rather, you are GOING TO LIVE in England for
two weeks.  In other words, don't go over there and
act like an American.  Stay in small British hotels,
eat in local British restaurants (Stay out of Mc
Donalds, Kentucky Fried, Pizza Hut, etc).  Just try to
blend in with the locals.

- - - - - - -

Get as much time off as possible.  Remember it take
you a day to go over, a day to recover when you get
there, and a day to come back.  That's three days shot
and you haven't even left yet.

- - - - - - -

Do not try to see too much.  London is 4 or 5 days
minimum.  Oxford is a day or two.  Windsor is a day.

- - - - - -

London tips:

Don't even think of getting a car in London.

Take the double decker hop-on hop-off bus tour.

Get a copy of a "Tube" (the London subway) map and
study...I mean really learn and understand it before
you go. DO NOT buy any type of a London transit, bus
or Tube pass here in the US.  It is a lot cheaper
there.  Take a couple small photos of yourself, you
will need them for the pass.  The Tube is fast, clean,
safe, and on time.  It is the only way to travel in
London.

Where ever you stay, they will have information on
"walking tours".  They are great...and very
inexpensive also.

Take 15 or 20 rolls of film and go the the Portabello
flee market on Saturday morning.  Try to get there
about 8:30 or 9:00.

Get off of the main streets...you can't get lost.
Even if you do...so what?

Every church you pass stop and stick you head in the
door.

I think it's Wednesday evening they permit photography
at Westminster Abbey.  That's worth going to.

If I remember right some time around the end of April
is the "Gay Parade".  That is the most bizarre thing
you have ever seen in your life.

Go to lunch in the crypt at St Martin-in-the-Fields
church at Trafalgar Square...yes, I said the crypt.

Walk along the River Thames at sunset.

In Chelsea once a year, I think it is in May, they
have a parade at the old solders home.  The "New
England Crab Shack" in Chelsea is a wonderful place to
have dinner.  It is a very casual, local place and you
will meet people there from all over the world.

You can have a pint (beer) at the pub where Samuel
Johnson use to hang out.  The pub is still there just
across the Thames from the Tower of London.

The Theater in London is great and inexpensive.  DO
NOT buy your tickets here in the US.  The same tickets
purchased  directly from the Theater will cost you 50%
less.  Get a copy of The Sunday Times of London and
the entertainment section will have all of the theater
information along with the individual theater phone
and FAX numbers.  All you have to do is call them give
them your credit card number and pick the tickets up
at the box office the night of the show.

Call the British tourist board in New York  they will
send you tons of helpful information.

No book or video can adequately prepare you for the
magnificent experience you are going to have.  You
will just have to trust me on that one.

Let us know how your planning is coming.

Regards,

Bill