Subject: Re: [Leica] 180mm tests, part 1 of 3 (at least!)
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 17:15:21 -0500

Erwin Puts wrote:

> The extremely high quality of this lens is not degraded by the
> permanently attached protective filter in front of the lens  and will
> fuel the discussion of the use of filters.

Surely in this case, the permanently mounted protective filter is figured
into the lens design?  I'm not an optical expert by any means, but I would
expect that if you attach a permanent filter, or a filter that is expected
to be in place unless others are used, will have been figured into the
lens equations.  A filter which is added to a lens without any such
permanently attached filter has not been figured into the lens design.
Surely this would account for the absence of loss of quality?  Am I
wrong?

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |