Subject: Re: [Leica] Makro 100/4
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 16:12:46 -0500

Mikiro wrote:

> I am not sure my wife will be pleased with her pics shot with an
> ApoMacro 100/2.8.

Lenses need contrast in subject material to resolve detail, right?  (Erwin,
please correct me if I'm wrong).  So, it would stand to reason that you
can shoot subjects with the 100mm f/2.8 APO-Macro-Elmarit-R without picking
out every single skin blemish, by controlling the light.

Full frontal lighting is often used in modern fashion photography.  I'm
willing to guess that two strobes/lights above and below the lens, facing
directly onto the model, even shot with the aforementioned lens, will
result in razor sharp detailing of eyes, eyelashes and eyebrows, but
will "smooth" out skin.  Add a third behing the model for hair highlight.

OK, so people may not want to rig up a dual Elinchrome set to take a picture
of their loved one.  More probably, the loved one wouldn't want to get
toasted infront of them.  But my point is that by paying attention to the
direction and quality of light, it should be possible to take perfectly
acceptible portraits even with a lens capable of such resolving power as
the 100mm APO.

I don't own the lens in question, and it's unlikely that I will in the next
5 years (at least!).  Those of you who do, is my hypothesis correct?  Am
I missing something?

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |