Subject: Re: [Leica] Religious experience? Way OT
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 12:28:21 -0500

At 11:11 PM 12/3/1999 -0500, Dan Cardish wrote:
>How on earth can someone not forgive someone else for something that
>happened EIGHT HUNDRED YEARS ago?

Dan

This really doesn't belong on the LUG but, briefly, allow me to note that
the Greek Orthodox community feels strongly that there has been a
thousand-year pattern of persecution by Latinate Christians, up to the
current day and Clinton's Kosovo escapade.  (I subscribe to a couple of
Greek-centered Classical Language lists, and these are laden with LONG
postings detailing every wrong done the Greeks by the Western Europeans.  I
won't say they make a compelling case, but I will say that we in the West
have been most ungracious in recognizing Orthodox sensitivities.)

Hence, it isn't a failure to forgive something which occurred 800 years
back:  it is, to them, a recognition of a cohesive pattern of mistreatment
extending over a millenium and still going on today.  I really don't want
to get off on this on the LUG, but I'll be happy to discuss it off-list
with anyone who wishes to do so.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!