Subject: [Leica] Decisions, decisions (on topic - long)
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@wt.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 12:10:36 -0500

Hi, all...

I'm back after a hiatus, as I was weary of all the flame throwing, off-topic
threads, and high bandwidth days.  But I missed you guys, your banter and
the thoughtful conversations you are capable of.  ;-)

However (back on topic), I am now in search of Leica advice.

I currently have an M3, Summaron f/3.5 35mm, Summicron f/2.0 50mm
(collapsible), Noctilux f/1.0 50mm, and a Hektor f/4.5 135mm.  I also have a
IIIf with a Xenon f/1.5 50mm.  The equipment I use the most is the M3 with
the Noct and the 35mm (in that order, along with a hand meter), shooting a
wide range of mono and color emulsions.

++++++++++++++++++++++

I will have enough funds in the near future to either procure an additional
M body *or* a wide angle lens, but probably not both.  My thoughts (which
I've been wrestling with since this past spring, while saving up the
necessary funds) are as follows:

- -  Sell the IIIf and Xenon to free up additional capital.  Possibly the
Summicron 50 and the Hektor as well, since I use them so infrequently.

- -  Purchase another M body (new or used) so I can have both color and mono
films instantly available.  I have had many occasions when one type of film
was loaded in the camera and I desired to shoot with another.  With the two
disparate bodies I have now, I can't exchange lenses or maintain the same
image quality and color balance, all of which is important to me.  I know I
can obtain another used M3 body for a relatively low price (we *are* talking
Leica here), but the newer M6's have the built-in metering I would like to
have when I want to travel light (I have two herniated disks in my lower
lumbar region, so the total weight of the kit is a constant nagging
consideration).  Flash photography is not a consideration at this time.

- -  Purchase either the Summicron f/2.0 35mm ASPH (if I got a different 35, I
would sell the old one) or the Elmarit f/2.8 24mm ASPH.  I have been
somewhat frustrated by the color differences between the images taken by the
Noct and my current 35mm (very distinct to my eyes), so that is why I'm
considering a 35mm replacement.  However, I already *own* a 35mm, but *not*
anything wider, and I've missed a slew of  shots because the 35mm wasn't
wide enough for the image I had in mind.

- -  Perhaps I should sell everything but the Noct, and purchase a new M6 body
and the 24mm.

The reason I am having such a painful go of this is because it will likely
be the last significant Leica purchase for me for many years to come and I
have to make it count.

I would appreciate anyone else's thoughts or suggestions on the matter and
you may respond privately if you wish.

Thanks in advance!

/Mitch