Subject: Re: [Leica] A root thought
From: Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:35:13 -0500

Mike:

You have cut through it.

I used a 20mm when I shot Nikon, and when I switched to Canon I found
a good price on a 24. For my Leica M I have a 28mm. I use them all in
almost exactly the same way. When I'm using the Leica 28 I never
think "I wish I had the 24."

I also agree that from 75mm to 100mm it's pretty much the same skills
emp[loyed, the same sort of vision.

Interestingly, it's the 35mm or 50mm choice that trips me up. They
are such very different lenses. When I want one of them, the other
just will not do.

Tom

>This may be a bit more radical, but I believe that it doesn't really
>MATTER what lens you choose as long as you're in the ballpark for the
>way you see. If Ralph Gibson uses a 90mm most of the time, you could
>force him to use a 75mm and he'd still make great pictures. If Lee
>Friedlander prefers a 28mm, he could still find a way to do interesting
>things if he were "stuck" with a 24mm.
>
>Just pick one and learn it. You'll get used to it. When you do, it will
>become what you prefer. <s>
>
>--Mike

Thomas Kachadurian
www.kachadurian.com