Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Leica M Winder 14 403
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 20:52:46 -0800

John Collier wrote:

> Yes it has been discontinued; well actually, it was never available in the
> first place. Canada stopped making it as cost were too high. Portugal
> thought they could do it to a price and "new availability" was announced.
> Unfortunately after the machinery was shipped to Portugal they decided they
> could not afford to make it either! "Supposedly" a new winder is being
> designed that "may" work with a "new" camera and "may" be backward
> compatible (or more probably it is all wishful thinking). Let us all buy
> rapidwinders and put Leica to shame. Interestingly Leica Canada receives
> regular requests from Father Leica for used motors! All of this is a
> completely unsubstantiated rumor that I deny every writing and oops, I
> washed the dress!
>
> John "Monica" Collier
> > ------------------------------
John the Winder M is an excellent and necessary tool which has little
resemblance in function, form or purpose to Toms advance mechanism which in my
opinion is unfortunately called a Rapidwinder, an excellent advance mechanism
but not a winder.
For much of what we think Leica M's are best used for Tom's or your thumb works perfectly.
But for cranking out much film a photographer want and needs a winder.
Someone is saying that kind of photograhy is SLR stuff. Why?
Why not shoot a catalog with your M6?. I'll tell you I plan on it.
If it does not fit into your idea of what Leica is all about you are not the
only one.
But wishing and guessing it away doesn't clarify anything and is much
unappreciated. Humor?
The Leica M6 is a viable commercial camera system. I will prove that fact for
myself personally this year having just compleated my system and restarted my
professional career. There is nothing optional about a winder for my purposes I
will probably get another one for my second body.
Mark Rabiner