Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V13 #73
From: "Ernest B. Ferro" <eferro@tbscc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:53:07 -0500

	I've attempted to post this message to the scan users group twice but it
never appears to make it out to the group.  Since I've used my M6 with 50
Summicron to take the 35mm pictures, I hope the LUG won't mind if I pose
these questions here.
	My wife volunteered us to do the programs for the local girls high school
basketball team of which my daughter is a member.  The programs consist of
pictures of the girls and team and line art from sponsors.  We've taken the
necessary pictures using my M6 (beautiful, crisp, clear shots I might add).
We shot both 35mm color and digital. The digital pictures were taken at a
resolution of 1200x1600.  I have a Nikon LS-2000 with which I can scan the
35mm negatives if necessary.  Anyway, my question is this.  I want to print
the programs on my Tektronix Phaser 740 at either 600x600 or 1200x1200dpi.
At what resolution should the 35mm pictures be scanned if I want to output
the pictures on the program at say 5 x 7.5 cm or 8x12 cm with the printer
printing at 600x600 or 1200x1200?  Are the digital pictures at 1200x1600
useable for sizes of 5x7.5 or 8x12cm?  If I elect to crop the pictures, does
that change the resolution at which they should be scanned?  Finally, at
what resolution should the line art be scanned if the output is going to be
600x600 or 1200x1200
	Thanks in advance.
Ernie