Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: 75mm f1.4 (and other special lenses)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:49:36 -0000

The 75 is getting a bad rap here for the reason that those rapping it see to
feel that the only "true" Leica lens is a pre-ASPH 35 Summilux or
collapsible Elmar...

The 75 is neither large, nor bulky, nor heavy when compared to anything by
the aforementioned lenses. If you want a real comparison, compare it to SLR
lenses of apx the same focal length and f stop - and it will come up the
winner. No, it's not a drop it in your shirt pocket kind of lens, but, to me
at least, it seems about the same as the 90 Summicron, which is entirely
manageable.

Yes, the nonexistent depth of field is limiting. But when you get it right,
it's RIGHT. The results you can achieve with this lens are truly astounding
in terms of sharpness and bokah...

If I want to reach out and tele someone, I want to do it with an SLR. I find
the 90 a bit beyond the effective working range of the M - but that's me.
The 75, on the other hand, is just about the limit...

And, frankly, with the advent of the new $750 "Voightlander" 75 2.5, which
is smaller and lighter than the 75 Summilux, it may make sense to hold the
Summilux in reserve for the real low light situations, and use the
Voightlander for "normal" light situations - if the quality's there..