Subject: Re: [Leica] German QC
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:46:15 -0500

At 09:24 PM 11/27/1999 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>Yes, of course it would be Leica-designed. However, you might be
>interested to know that a fairly high-up source at Zeiss told me that
>the Kyocera-built lenses had slightly higher QC than the German-built
>lenses.

Hmm.  I would doubt this and suspect you were being fed what the fellow
thought you'd want to hear.

Oberkochen and Kyocera have PRECISELY identical QC standards and the
inspection crews are identical:  Zeiss has hired some Orientals, now, for
its inspectors, though I believe from Hong Kong.  So, we have recently had
the interesting aspect of an Oriental inspecting lenses at Oberkochen and
Germans inspecting lenses at Kyocera.

I've never noted any difference between Kyocera and Oberkochen, and, given
Zeiss's industrial practices, would be most curious how such could be.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!