Subject: [Leica] M-cassettes FS and journalism
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:58:18 EST

i know it' saturday but i tried to post this Friday and it looks as if it
didn't make it, judging from the digest I just went through, so I'll beg the
pardon of all and add a thought on journalism to put this as on thread as
anything gets here these days:

I have about 15 Leica M cassettes I no longer need, since I use only half a
dozen or so, and would like to sell them. They are clean, in good working
order, although some show brassing, but this affects their ability to protect
your film in no way. I am asking $20 each and will pay shipping anywhere in
the US of A. This includes the plastic Leitz can they come in.

Now, apparently on-topic -- I saw a lot of discussion about journalism ethics
and allowing people to check stories in advance of publication. Personally,
as a reporter and columnist for 25 years, I never do this, ever. It is what
we call "prior restraint," and violates our duty to the reader to remain
independent of the people we cover.

I DO make very sure that what I am doing is accurate -- I tell the people I
am interviewing I want them to make sure in their own mind that I understand
what they are telling me, and I make sure and discuss it with them long
enough so that we both are comfortable. Only if there is some technical or
factual aspect I am not sure of later on do I contact them again. Because of
this policy I very rarely am accused of mis-quoting anyone or getting a story
wrong.

As to what other newspapers do, I don't care. I have higher standards than
most of the national press. Especially the Washington Press Corps, which in
my opinion is way too close to the objects it covers.

charles trentelman
ogden, utah