Subject: RE: [Leica] Dissing color? Who, moi?
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:38:56 -0500

Mike, I have re-read your statement:

"I'm one. I've never liked "traditional" color photo media--I absolutely
abhor the typical "slide look" in prints, underexposed "for saturation"
and looking contrasty and lightless--I've seen hundreds of thousands of
such pictures and I'm sorry, but I think it's an inherently ugly medium.
Type C prints _can_ be nice, but just as often look "gassy" with sickly
color-crossovers. Cibas, although some people love them (Phil Davis
does), look ghastly to me. Exceptions I can think of include masked
Cibas on matte paper, for instance Richard Misrach's desert fires."

About the underexposed highconstrast look, I agree. The "medium" however is
slide film (printed on Ciba). You state that this is "inherently" ugly, not
just ugly when done incorrectly. It is just as silly as my saying that since
low resolution digital printing looks awful, all digitial printing is
garbage.

Jonathan Borden