Subject: Re: [Leica] Nazi Leicas
From: LP6@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 18:17:52 EST

Nathan:

In my view, your post cited below is sound commentary on the abuses of
reckless moral relativism blurring the existence of fundamental moral
absolutes that stand as universals and cut across cultures, time and space!
Good for you!  As for others,  please be patient with this off topic and
abstract exchange on the LUG:  I do find all aspects of Leica History
compelling!

Leon
LP6@aol.com

In a message dated 11/25/99 2:38:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nathan.wajsman@euronet.be writes:

<<  believe that it is important to remember that in
 > WWII atrocities , large and small, were committed by
 > both sides.

 This is the worst kind of relativism, implying that somehow both sides
 were equal and that we take the view of history that we do only because
 "we" happened to win the war. Such a view is an insult to the victims
 and to the soldiers who died ridding the world of the supreme evil that
 Nazism represented. You will find very few exponents of this view even
 among modern Germans.

 As for the story about the Polish soldier shooting the SS guy, while I
 cannot condone executing a POW, I understand the soldier's action given
 the suffering endured by his country. Also, keep in mind that the guy he
 shot was not an ordinary Wehrmacht soldier--the SS were a special corps,
 responsible for many of the worst war crimes. Of course, after the war
 they all claimed to be just "following orders" etc. Basically, the guy
 got what he deserved.

 Sorry to the LUG for the off-topic post, but as a son of a Holocaust
 survivor I could not let this one pass by in silence. This will be my
 only post in this thread.

 Nathan
 --
 Nathan Wajsman