Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica on eBay
From: Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:24:59 -0600

This equipment is VERY nice looking and a great chance for collectors, but
the original message points out one of my frustrations with ebay as a
potential buyer of some of this equipment.

When someone sets up an auction, you have two choices to set the minimum
you'll take for what you're selling; either a minimum first bid, or set a
reserve price. It makes no sense to me to set a mysterious reserve that no
one will know until it reaches that point. Why not just set a minimum first
bid. If it's more than someone is willing to pay they'll go on to the next
item. It has me now just avoiding anything with a reserve price on it.
Anything I've bid on with a reserve price usually means you'd be just as
well finding one from a dealer that will offer a guarantee of some sort.
It's always fun to look at what's for sale, though, as there's some really
nice stuff out there.

Am I missing the boat on this? If you have a reserve you know the minimum
you'll take.