Subject: RE: [Leica] ? what the?
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 20:07:39 -0500

I cannot forebear posting this interchange I had more than a year ago on
another list.  Doubtless it will raise many old ghosts, but, what the
heck.  The darts indicate the post to which I responded:

 >       In his convincing book. "Hitler's Willing Executioners," Daniel
 >Goldhagen, a Professor at Harvard University in New York, expoused the theory
 >that every single German from Frederika Von Smightya(a mentally retarted
 >chamber maid in Dresden) on up to Hitler knew about the Holocaust. Since
 >publication of the Goldhagen book, a number of authors like Norman
Finkelstein
 >and Ruth Bettinna Birn(obvious Nazi sympathizers) have attacked and ridiculed
 >Goldhagen and argued that he should be denied tenure. To me, there is a
middle
 >ground between the two positions that reasonable people should take. Not all
 >Germans knew about the Holocaust. At least one, Frederika Von Smightya,
did not
 >because she was too busy emptying chamber pots and because she doesn't
 >understand words that are not monosyllablic--like Holocaust.  However, I
 >strongly disagree with the views of German congressional leader Fritz Von
 >Kaltenbruner IV that only "Der Fuherer" knew what was going on. Get real
Fritz!

I was deeply moved by Gindes' penetrating analysis of Hitler's "willing
camera makers."  I well remember my own youth growing up amongst the
hard-bellied, steely-eyed-killers of the 'old corps', most particularly the
one who wanted to give me his prized Caracano carbine, except that he'd
buried it in the back yard as a tribute to a noted marksman, and offered
instead a live 50 cal round.  Dad intervened before I could get hold of
it.  "Later, son," he said, the '03 Springfield 'll have to do 'till you're
ten."

To this day I can't look at an Italian rifle without a certain frisson, and
after reading Goldhagen's book, I must say that Leicas, Contaxes, and
Rollies have acquired a similar talismanic charm.  Back in the '60s I
worked in a camera store in central Illinois, and many an old boy in
bib-overalls (held up--as was the fashon in that part of the state--by
rusty nails) would wander in with his Medalist or some other equally trashy
Kodak camera and say, "Boy, I'm a going back to Paree [or Normandy or
Bastogne or Monte Cassino] and I want to take me some pitures.  Couldn't,
you know, when I was there the first time.  But I don't want any of them
Jap-Nazi jobs.  I want a *real* camera."  I'd dutifully sell the fellow an
Instamatic, and he'd wander away exclaiming to his wife, "Look at this
honey!  You don't even have to *thread* the darn thing.  Just *drop* the
film in; don't got to focus, neither.  That's what makes this country
*great*! "  But I digress.

The point is that Goldhagen makes the utterly persuasive case that Hitler's
willing camera makers were instrumental in the execution of the Final
Solution (and we're not talking Rodinal here, folks.)  He calls especial
attention, for instance, on page 224, to a photograph taken by one of the
members of the 101 Police Battalion in Lomazy, Poland, in August of
'42.  It shows "condemned Jews," but the tonal range, the exquisite
contrast, the "bokeh," and the great clarity of the foreground image,
clearly show off the extraordinary superiority of the Leica IIIa, the 5cm
Summar (I'd estimate f:6.5 @ 1/100) and Agfa Pan.  The German caption,
which translates roughly into "weather's fine; wish you were here," is one
of  the crucial documents of the period, for it demonstrates without doubt
that the whole point of the war was to create "photo-ops" for German
amateurs.  Think for  a moment.  In his magisterial -The Rise and Fall of
the Third Reich-, William Shirer observes that totalitarian states are
obsessed with the keeping of records.  Leitz, Contax, and Rollei, owe their
fortune to the happy coincidence of the rise of the Nazi state with the new
vogue for 'miniature' cameras (meaning 35mm), which provided an
unprecedented opportunity to catch those "decisive moments."  Goldhagen
offers yet other examples on, for instance, page 245, where he shows us "a
man from Police Battalion 101 amus[ing] himself and the beaming German
onlookers with their Jewish playthings."  The whole doctrine of
"lebensraum," then, must be seen as an attempt on the part of the German
state to subsidize the photographic industry, to create, in effect, an
expanding field of view, to encourage the consumption of film, of optical
gear, to create, as we now recognize, the modern "hobby" of photography,
or, as the Germans would have it, the "Leica weg."

I hadn't thought much about this until I read Gindes' brilliant post, which
has provoked much soul searching.  As a consequence, I spent the better
part of a wet afternoon digging a sizeable pit in the back year.  At dusk,
I deposited two Leica Reporters, an MP, two M3s, an M4-P, a Noctilux, a
Biogon 21, a 75/1.4 Summilux, and miscellaneous lenses into the loamy
earth.  I paused for a moment with the Rollei 2.8 Planar, but I simply
can't live with the guilt.  It's all done, now, and I'm free.  Those old
farmers had it right.  None of those Jap-Nazi jobs for me.  I'm shooting
disposables from here on.

Thanks, Galen.  You've changed my life.

Chandos Michael Brown

At 06:02 PM 11/23/1999 +0000, you wrote:
>It's quite simple - I'm suggesting that I think the collecting of Third
>Reich artifacts is repulsive and morally repugnant and vastly different from
>collecting any of the other artifacts you mention. (I didn't say anything
>about anti-Semitic.) ;-)

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown