Subject: RE: [Leica] CTX 5000 airport film zappers
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 06:57:55 -0700

- --MS_Mac_OE_3026185076_203058_MIME_Part

> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:33:42 -0700 (MST)
> From: dkgibson@hushmail.com
> Subject: [Leica] CTX 5000 airport film zappers for hand baggage now
>

> I heard a photographer got all their film zapped by one of these new machines
> not by putting film in checked baggage, but at the security check.
>
> Precvious advice was NOT to check film in luggage but to carry it on because
> these new beasties will ruin your film.
>
> Now it appears some US airports are installing them for hand baggage as
> well.
>
> In the US under FAA regs you can demand a hand check. But what to do in
> countries where this isn't possible? I believe there is no such right at
> Canadian airports - depends on your charm and the good will of security.
> And you have to have film scanned in the UK. So, are they also going to
> be installing the CTX 5000 in such places?
>
> Tim A

Here is what I, and I am sure many luggers, do. When travelling by air
(Canada and USA) I always carry my film with me (completely unpacked - no
canisters, no foil) in clear plastic ziplock bags. I keep each individual
ziplock down to about 10 or so rolls and then have all the bags together in
the giant clear ziplocks. I have never even had the slightest problem
getting hand inspections  when I spell out very carefully what I am
expecting. Once, after opening all my bags for security chap but before I
could speak, Ihad to turn my back to help my wife, and the rocket scientist
fired them though! Always explain, never expect! Several security people
have commented that they wished everyone would do this as it makes life so
much easier for them. I also insist that they hand inspect all loaded
cameras. I have had to be fairly persistent on occasion but have always
prevailed. Good luck overseas with countries that have terrorist problems. A
friend of mine lost a good deal of her gypsy work when she had to get out of
Croatia in a hurry when you know what blew up. Never put film in checked
luggage even if you wrap it in 10 kgs of lead. If they can not see what is
that package, you will be asked off the plane to "help" hand inspect the
bag. Do not expect a warm welcome and steel yourself for strip search
revenge!

John Collier

- --MS_Mac_OE_3026185076_203058_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>RE: [Leica] CTX 5000 airport film zappers</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<TT>&gt; Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:33:42 -0700 (MST)<BR>
&gt; From: <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>dkgibson@hushmail.com<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt; Subject: [Leica] CTX 5000 airport film zappers for hand bag=
gage now<BR>
&gt; <BR>
<BR>
&gt; I heard a photographer got all their film zapped by one of these new m=
achines <BR>
&gt; not by putting film in checked baggage, but at the security check.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Precvious advice was NOT to check film in luggage but to carry it on b=
ecause <BR>
&gt; these new beasties will ruin your film.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Now it appears some US airports are installing them for hand baggage a=
s <BR>
&gt; well.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; In the US under FAA regs you can demand a hand check. But what to do i=
n <BR>
&gt; countries where this isn't possible? I believe there is no such right =
at <BR>
&gt; Canadian airports - depends on your charm and the good will of securit=
y. <BR>
&gt; And you have to have film scanned in the UK. So, are they also going t=
o <BR>
&gt; be installing the CTX 5000 in such places?<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Tim A <BR>
<BR>
Here is what I, and I am sure many luggers, do. When travelling by air (Can=
ada and USA) I always carry my film with me (completely unpacked - no canist=
ers, no foil) in clear plastic ziplock bags. I keep each individual ziplock =
down to about 10 or so rolls and then have all the bags together in the gian=
t clear ziplocks. I have never even had the slightest problem getting hand i=
nspections &nbsp;when I spell out very carefully what I am expecting. Once, =
after opening all my bags for security chap but before I could speak, Ihad t=
o turn my back to help my wife, and the rocket scientist fired them though! =
Always explain, never expect! Several security people have commented that th=
ey wished everyone would do this as it makes life so much easier for them. I=
 also insist that they hand inspect all loaded cameras. I have had to be fai=
rly persistent on occasion but have always prevailed. Good luck overseas wit=
h countries that have terrorist problems. A friend of mine lost a good deal =
of her gypsy work when she had to get out of Croatia in a hurry when you kno=
w what blew up. Never put film in checked luggage even if you wrap it in 10 =
kgs of lead. If they can not see what is that package, you will be asked off=
 the plane to &quot;help&quot; hand inspect the bag. Do not expect a warm we=
lcome and steel yourself for strip search revenge!<BR>
<BR>
John Collier</TT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_3026185076_203058_MIME_Part--