Subject: RE: [Leica] Ahh - Ted's undies are back - lens chamois
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 06:19:47 -0800

             "Undies for lens cleaning!"
In order:

B.D. wrote:

<<But seriously - Riiiiight - which is better: Ted's undies or well washed
cloth diapers?>>>>

Not having access to diapers personally I couldn't comment on the softness.
However, questioning my grandchildren and with an "in hand test of diaper
and undies" we came to the conclusion, undies won "bottoms up!" :)

It has to do with weight ratio: baby to diaper, adult to underwear weardown
factor plus 3, times worn and washed.

Tim Atherton wrote:

<<<<<And for anyone who thinks Ted is joking - HE ISN'T! This really is
supposed
to be the best Leica lens cleaning material....>>>>>>>

Now would I lie to you folks? :) It certainly is the best and as I like to
point out, they are free.  Also environment friendly for re-cycle.

However, in Tim's case living in the Arctic,it gets a little tough on the
lens when using well washed seal skin undies. Which I'd  suggest they
definately shouldn't be used during below freezing temperatures! Ice
crystals play hell with the lens coating.

After all, Leica coated lenses are very tough, but imagine frozen seal skin
rubbed on your ass!:) Oops! I mean glass!:)

Joe B. wrote:

<<<I think Ted should write a technical volume explaining this and other tips-
maybe a suitable title would be "This is our underwear"..>>>>>

As we speak! Including photos illustrating proper seating procedure to
ensure the best softeness factor.

Jem Kime wrote:
<<<<I tried this with some gold lurex posing pouch G-string I had lying around
and couldn't find the 'ass part'! The front part seems to be scratching
the elements a lot. Should I be worried?>>>>>

I'd damn well think so.:) That gold stuff really plays hell with the
coating. See frozen seal skin for scratch factor.:)

Now everyone into the dresser drawer, pull at least one well worn undie,
you know the kind your mother always said, "you can't wear that! What if
you were in an accident and taken to the hospital with those on!"

This is the perfect Leica cleaning cloth!:)

Addendum for use:

"Soft underwear. Mark II, version II. LEICA lens cleaning cloth. Secondary
use!"

During ongoing research for greater use of well worn underwear, it has been
discovered they are, when kept in the whole, very useful with bottom part
intact as a complete "wrap around lens bag/cover!" An excellent choice over
the very expensive chamois lens bags!:)

There you have it, well worn underwear comes out the winner once again. :)
Double the use factor, use well worn underwear! Put a smile on the face of
your lens!:)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant