Subject: Re: [Leica] "Wide" Portraits
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:49:52 -0500

> Tom Donovan wrote:
>
> >I've been reading John Loengard's "Pictures Under Discuss-
> >ion" & on page 86, I quote; "It is natural to turn the camera
> >to the vertical when taking pictures of people, but I rarely do
> >it.......I decided to make my portraits wide instead of high".
> >
> >I'm having a tough time visualising which focal length to use;>>>>

If you think horizontal is difficult to imagine try shooting square.
Seriously, some of my most interesting portraits are done horizontally
with a loose upper-body framing to allow for environment. Generally,
I'll compose the subjects face on one of the "thirds" so that the
brighter skin areas act as compositional anchors. I've also enjoyed
framing horizontals so tight that the subject's face "bleeds" off the
frame. Thus, you might not even include the top of their head or one
side of their face. By positioning them off-center you can use the
negative space in the frame as a balance to the dominant amount of space
the face is utilizing. Hope this helps. Experiment.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/