Subject: Re: [Leica] SL2 eats film
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 05:48:10 -0800

Nathan wrote:

>Yesterday, while changing film in my SL2, I noticed a small piece of
>film stuck behind one of the white thingies in the take-up spool.
>Apparently it came from one of the previous films and was torn off when
>rewinding the film. This has me concerned a bit. Any tips on how to deal
>with this or prevent the film from  being torn in the camera would be
>appreciated.>>>

Hi Nathan,

I've had that happen many times using SL & SL2's with no apparant harm from
smaller pieces. Once broken and lodged in the take-up spool it "usually"
stays there. Not to say a small piece couldn't get into the shutter if you
miss it when re-loading and inadvertantly loosen it into the film chamber.
Highly unlikely..

I think what happens when the film is locked on the spool and the take-up
starts winding, it turns in reverse direction to the way the film is loaded
in the cassette and depending on the brittleness of the roll breaks off at
the last moment of re-wind and not during advancing.  Therefore, you see it
when re-loading.

Being aware that it can happen means you keep an eye for a piece in the spool.

Now that I've said that and you've discovered it happens, it means
everytime from now on when you look, you'll never find another broken
piece. :)

I wouldn't sweat it. I'd bet every SL & SL2 user has encountered this at
some time. I'd much rather have it break a tiny piece off on rewind than
have the film slip out of the take-up spool.

By the way it happens in both manual advanced and motordriven cameras.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant