Subject: Re: [Leica] deserve to be green
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 16:04:27 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:
><Snip> rock at Point Lobos. It looks like an egg in a nest.
>
> And his concern for absolute image quality was always compromised by his
> use of HC-110 dil. B and Tri-X with 35mm. He said he was so familiar with
> it that he just didn't want to mess with anything else. Or was that John
> Sexton reporting Ansel saying that? I don't remember. HC-110 dil. B and
> 35mm Tri-X are excessively grainy IMO.
>
> Eric Welch
This use of Tri x with HC-110 dil. B  by the "master" has always been an enigma
to all the photographers I've known who have never been able to get anything but
chalk and soot from the combination, especially in 35. It might have been Adams
would said something along the lines of "Any developer used at the proper
dilution could produce great results". Dilution B would not be it. Higher
dilutions resulted in mottling for me and others. As it was Mrs. Adams who
really ran his film maybe we should have been asking her as to what she was
really using!
Also in his Hasselblad was it Tri x professional which is ASA 320 and a whole
different ball of wax then real Tri X 400? The Film does not deserve to be green
in my opinion!
Mark Rabiner