Subject: [Leica] adams the myth
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:00:44 EST

>And by understanding Adams, we have to view him as the ultimate
>perfectionist, proud of his work but also confident in his knowledge of the
>gear and emulsions available to him, willing to drive six hours into the
>desert in a creaky car to shoot a picture at a certain time of day with
>only a single sheet of film, as "I only needed a single exposure to get it
>right".  (My father commanded an anti-aircraft battery in Alaska during the
>War.  He knew an Aleut widow who would hunt caribou with a .22 rifle and a
>single cartridge, as "that is all I need".  She always came back with a
>caribou draped over her shoulders, off to feed h

oh please, don't repeat this old "good shooting indian"canard. anyone who
goes off shooting with one bullet, and any photographer who goes off shooting
with one sheet of film, would be a damn fool and a liar. I don't care who you
are, you screw up on occassion. the cloud moves and you want a second shot.
the cloud doesn't move but you time it wrong. Even Adams did it. He wasn't a
machine, for crying out loud.

but i agree -- who cares what camera he used/promoted. Hell, the man had to
make a living. He probably didn't care what brand of tool he used that much.

c trentelman
ogden, utah