Subject: Re: [Leica] China
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 06:48:57 -0800

SCripscan@aol.com wrote:

> Leaving for China on medical transport via Cathay Pacific and just wondering
> about taking M6 with me.  Will I have problems in and out of customs?  Any
> safety precautions or advice is greatly appreciated.

You should always be prepared upon return to your home country to show
that the camera was not purchased abroad. In the US you can fill out a
form at customs prior to departing which will serve as proof that the
items were in the US prior to departure. I believe that receipts showing
serial numbers, dates, and place of purchase (in your home country)
would also suffice. Best to ask customs well in advance of departing.

You may not need to show proof upon return but if asked and you don't
have it then you might get hit with customs fees, and penalties for
failing to declare ;-)

Someone else spoke of entry customs in China, I would suspect that if
you don't look like you are 'importing' goods it's not a problem.

Have a great trip!

Dennis